Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Truth About Iowa

Pretty much anyone who has lived in Iowa is aware of the misconceptions about this state. I know I'm not the only one that has had those awkward reactions to: "I'm from Iowa." And no, it's not Ohio. And no, it's not the place with the potatoes. So for those that know Iowa, reminisce with me. For those who don't, I'd like to clear some things up.

  • Iowa: Where you can experience all four seasons in one day.
Image Source
Okay, this one is partially true. Just this week it was 40 degrees one day and snowing 8 inches the next. I'll admit that I'm basically stuck at my apartment right now because my car is plastered in a layer of snow and ice. Although there are weeks the weather has some drastic changes, Iowa experiences four (somewhat) distinctive seasons. Summers are hot; winters are cold. Spring and fall are usually just buffers in between. I'm really not making this seem very glamorous... Because it's not. But you get used to it. 

  • Iowa: Where people eat a lot of corn.
Image Source
Not so much. Sure, we have corn mazes, the Cy-Hawk Corn Series, and corn festivals. But my life doesn't revolve around corn. I don't sit in class each day wondering what corn recipe I should make when I get home. Do I enjoy some fresh sweet corn for supper in the summer though? Definitely! In Iowa, we grow corn to feed the rest of the county. We wouldn't keep it all for ourselves; that would be selfish.

  • Iowa: Where there's nothing but flat fields. 
Image Source
False. The image above is just one example of the cliffs that run along the Turkey River and so many other places throughout Iowa. We have our share of flat land and fields too, but it's not like we're in the heart of the Great Plains. There's nothing that compares to kayaking down the Upper Iowa along miles of beautiful rock cliffs. If you've never done it, I highly recommend adding it to your bucket list!

  • Iowa: Where the people are friendly.

Apparently we're different. We're "Iowa nice." On this topic it's hard to be impartial because I don't know any different. But I have to agree! For Iowans, if you have a problem, be ready for the entire community to come and help you out. Yeah, we'll all gossip about it the next day, but that's just reality. In real trouble, you'll get more thoughts, prays, cards, and food than you know what to do with.

  • Iowa: Where everyone is a farmer.
Image Source
Also false. Although farming is a thankless yet crucial occupation to life as we know, not all Iowans are farmers. Personally, I didn't grow up on a farm, but I did grow up surrounded by a farming community. In class Monday we watched a news report the morning before the caucus. One news anchor talked about how Iowans must take care of their crops and collect the eggs before they go caucus. Maybe it was a joke, and it's an extreme example... But that's definitely not reality. 

I hope you understand Iowa a little more now. Or at least got a little laugh. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment